Cherish these moments...

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2.15.2011

The Help...by Kathryn Stockett


My dear, sweet husband got me a Kindle for Christmas and boy do I love it!!  I've already read 3 books on it and am working on the 4th.  I've asked myself over and over again, why is it easier to read a book on the Kindle instead of an actual book?  The answer...I don't know.  It just is.  :)  The first book I bought on the Kindle is called The Help.  I love the way it reads because you get to see the different points of view of the main characters in the novel.  At the top of each chapter, it says whose point of view it is written from.  In my head, I even changed the accents for each character as I read their story.  Tell me I'm not the only one who does this.  Here's an excerpt from the Publisher's Weekly review that I think sums it up really well:

"...set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Miss., where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia Skeeter Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. The budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams..."

Don't let the size of this book, deter you from picking it up (or downloading it).  It reads really fast and I think I finished it in about 10 days.  I promise, you will not be disappointed in this book!  If you don't want to take my word for it, check out the reviews on Amazon.  Please feel free to comment if you have read this or plan to read it.  I would love to see what other people think about it.  Oh, and word on the street is that Hollywood plans to make this one into a movie.   Happy reading!

2 comments:

Kampen Family said...

my mom gave me this book but i've been leery in reading it. but thank you for your insight! i think i'll pick it up after i finish reading the Pioneer Woman's new book:)

Kate said...

I LOVED LOVED this book too!! and love my Kindle too! ;)