Cherish these moments...

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

2.19.2011

Wanna be a runner??

Well you totally can!!  I firmly believe that anyone can run.  I started consistently running just over a year ago and am currently training for my third half marathon.  Woohoo!  If you had asked me 18 months ago if I ever ever in my life thought I'd run this much I would have told you you were crazy.  But here I am, still running and more importantly, enjoying running.  Here are some tips I've picked up along the way.  I'm by no means an expert, this is just coming from my experience.

Get the right gear:  Having the right running shoes is going to be crucial when you start running.  I recommend going to a store that specializes in running (like Luke's Locker) and running for them so they can see how your feet hit the ground and suggest shoes that would work best for you.  They don't have to be super expensive either.  The first pair I bought were $110 but the second pair I bought were only $55 and I like them just as much.  (both on mine were Asics which I now love!)  Socks are another biggie in my book.  You need socks that wick away moisture.  I like these and they aren't too expensive.  After you get those two down, you can start investing in some good running clothes.  I've just bought stuff here and there since I started running.  At the beginning though, I just washed and wore the same things over and over again.  Don't feel pressured to have a whole new wardrobe right at the beginning.

Start slow:  If you don't currently run, don't go out and try to run 3 miles.  First of all, you'll probably injure yourself and second of all, you'll be huffin' and puffin' and you'll hate it and never want to do it again.  I highly suggest starting with the Couch to 5k program.  It's an excellent way to get started.  If you kind of run right now but not much, maybe you can start on week 3 or 4 instead.  In any case, slowly work up to being able to run 3 miles or 30 minutes.

Get a running buddy or 10: Every time I've run a race, I've run with other people. It makes training for the race so much easier when you know someone else is going to be right there doing it along with you. I've always just run with friends, but I've also heard great things about joining a running group. Either way, it will help hold you accountable which is super important.

Find a race:  Then sign up and run it!  One of the best parts of running to me, is racing.  Not racing to win, but just being a part of the race.  I've done 5k's, 10k's and half's.  They are all great and all a lot of fun.  You can find one's that support a cause close to your heart, or one's that are just plain fun.  Plus, once you sign up for a race, it helps you stay committed.  That brings me to my next point.

Stay motivated:  There are so many great blogs out there that you can read to learn new tips, what to eat, how to avoid injury, and just other people's experiences.  Here are some of my faves:
Healthy Tipping Point
Runner's Kitchen
The Fitnessista

You can do it!  I promise!  Happy running!  :)

2 comments:

Sheridan said...

Hi Julie...I'm going to try some of your tips!! I ran in my 1st 5K in December and I agree that your shoes and clothing is super important. I also love Luke's Locker and Dick's. I do C25K on my iPhone and love it!! Running rocks!! :)

Sheridan
www.theverycraftyowl.blogspot.com

M Leijon said...

Julie, glad you are back, blogging. I missed you!